I've never been very good at meditating, so when I read the first part of the assignment for this blog post I thought I was going to be in a little bit of trouble. I'm constantly running around campus and barely have time to myself at the end of the day. Even when I'm home, I'm almost never home. So, I was pretty surprised at how easy it was to sit and meditate since I don't practice it often. In both exercises I found that I was extremely more relaxed when focusing on my breathing, anything else that came to my mind went away with a little effort to make it so. I've now thought a lot more about incorporating meditation into my life, especially during stressful weeks. Rev. Teri Ott does meditation group meetings every friday at 4, and since I'm on the email list for that I think I might join in. That would be really enlightening and might help me stay on track to meditate regularly.
It's really weird thinking about my friendships in the Aristotelian terms. In high school and the younger years i think I'd have to say i had friendships of pleasure. Now I'd say it's probably a mixture of Utility and Pleasure. I never needed much of anything from my friends when I was young, I mostly just wanted to be around kids my own age. Now I look to build networks with anyone and everyone I meet. It seems life is all about who you know now, so the friendship of utility definitely comes into play here.
I don't know if any of my friendships could evolve into a friendship of virtue, the one concept I don't quite understand is how I would determine if my friends and I were equals or not. I'm not saying I'm higher or lower than them, but I just don't know how that would work I guess.
I'm not really the best at meditating either... But I think I did better because this meditation exercise was more structured than others. It gave me somewhat of a goal or task to complete while meditating. I know that if it was just left up to me, my mind would've been wandering all over the place.
ReplyDeleteJake: Your question about the difficulties of a friendship of virtue are part of the reason Aristotle says they are so rare.
ReplyDelete