Monday, April 15, 2013

Reflection 11

Coach tells Thom that he can no longer be on the team for a list of bull$hit reasons ranging from his seizures and the insurance liabilities that could occur to him being "different." The coach had essentially been super judgmental towards Thom. If it'd had been me, all hell would have broken loose. No one deserves to be treated any differently at all despite any situation they might be in. My parents would be the same way, to say that my parents are overprotective is somewhat of an understatement. My parents would literally pounce on anyone who crossed their kids. I was thinking about my experience during the alternative spring break program last year when i was doing the poverty simulation and remembered  how people were told to "treat us like homeless people" and I was so happy to see that those people pretty much told the program leaders to grow up, and that they'd treat anyone the same regardless of class.

Ruth is esstetially saying to Thom that the things he wants won't just fall into his lap, he's got to be proactive and seek out what he desires. I don't wait for happiness to find me, I go out there and get it. I've done too much waiting around for good things to come, so I make them happen for me if that makes any sense. I have taken control of my own happiness.

I think this happens to most people, but not to the exact same caliber as Thom. For Thom, he overcame a lot of obstacles and put those who would judge him to shame in that moment and that's why I think that moment was so important to him. For other people, I think that the experience is a tad different. Everyone likes the recognition that comes with cheers from an entire crowd, and that's what most people gain from times like that.

I don't know that the perfect first kiss is something that actually exists. I think that the awkwardness of the "first move" and the dysfunctional-ness of it all is what makes it feel perfect, but I think that, that depends on the couple. Crushes on famous figures are pretty common, my celeb crushes are mainly on ladies like Zooey Deschanel, Natalie Portman, Emily Blunt, etc. All B-E-A-utiful actresses. I think we have these crushes because the idea of having a relationship with your crush can provide an escape, just like comics.


I finished the book today, and if you haven't yet, all I can say is holy moly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment