Monday, February 4, 2013

Reflection #3

Open topics always scare me, because I never know what I want to write about. Luckily through different publications around campus and discussions we've had through our class time, I think I have a solid subject to write about. In talking about identities of superheroes whether it'd be secret or not we talked about how an identity or costume defines the superhero. If you have picked up the most recent issue of the Monmouth College Courier, you should have seen the cover story "Taking the Liberal Arts Out of MC?" The article discusses how the admissions department seeks to remove the phrase liberal arts out of publications or marketing campaigns for the college. This may not seem relevant to the class, but think with me if you will, wouldn't taking the liberal arts part of the Monmouth name take away from our identity as students/staff?

The article says that liberal arts would still be an important part of the college, but would no longer be advertised to perspective students. I truly believe that this takes away from the experience that we share together as staff/faculty/students and really takes away from the previously mentioned Identity. This makes me think about what would happen if you took away identities of superheroes. What would our favorite superheroes do without key characteristics that make up their identity?

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that you found a connection between the integrity of the school and the integrity of superheroes in regards to identity, but maybe elaborate on what DO YOU think would happen id these identities were gone because it's not a connection I would have immediately made myself.

    ReplyDelete